AFRIK-IT March 1999

Re: FW: kaduna/Abuja

Emmanuel NJENGA <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:16:14 +0200

Dear Liz,

Thank very much for the message below and offering alternative ISPs in
Nigeria.

I will take this message to Introduce myself to the list. My name is Emmanuel
Njenga and I am working with SANGONeT (http://sn.apc.org) an Internet
Service Provider that aims to meet the specific needs of people and
organisations concerned with development and social and environmental justice
in southern Africa region and other parts of Africa too. This is mainly through
the provision of solutions to Information and Communication needs and
implementation of projects are aimed at enhancing development through the
effective use of Information and Communication Technologies.

I have been working at one of these Projects in partnership with the WHO -
TDR (World Health Organization - Tropical Diseases Research) centre which
aims to provide access to the internet resources to the TDR researchers. This
is mainly through connectivity and training to ensure all are able to utilize the
resources for their research work.

We have been working on this for the last one year - phase one of the project
and one major challenge we have faced so far is the connection to the internet
for the 7 TDR researchers  in Nigeria. The researchers are located in Ibadan,
Enugu and Kaduna. We've been in liaison with Linkserve to provide the
connection to the researchers and all is going well..though very slow. The first
issue at hand was the Lack of POPs outside Lagos..we never did come up with
a solution to this and up to now, the scientists will have to make trunk calls to get
their connection.

The next issue and very interesting is the issue that some scientists requested
for a solution where they could achieve a connection at the same time bypass
the use of the Nitel lines. We were not able to achieve and this is where I would
like to hear from the Afrik -IT list subscribers on what options are there for the
scientists. Most are not comfortable with Nitel's reliability of service and security
of mail and other.

I look forward to hearing from you all on this and other issues of connectivity in
Nigeria. Moreso about the service offered by Hyperia and the Vsat system that
they use.

Kind Regards,

Emmanuel Njenga

> Hi Tobias,
>
> If it is not too late, there are some other service providers you should
> consider: like Hyperia, contact person: ( [log in to unmask] or
> [log in to unmask]) they are on VSAT, which will make their services much
> better than going via NITEL.
>
> Also, you can try Cybaaspace, contact person there is:
> [log in to unmask] . Another company is Pinet, contact person there
> is:  [log in to unmask] . There is also Nigeria Online (NIGOL), they
> seem to be good, but i have not made much enquiry about
> them..............regards.........Liz
>

> **********************************
> Elizabeth O. Akinde
> Local Area Network Manager
> USIS LAGOS
> Tel.: (234-1)263-4868
>                  263-4865
>                  263-3395
> Fax: (234-1)263-5397

Emmanuel Njenga Njuguna
P.O Box 31, Johannesburg 2000.
South Africa.
Tel: 27 11 838 6943    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Fax: 27 11 492 1058    URL:    http://sn.apc.org

SANGONeT: Towards an Information Society