Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: SUMMARY in vivo phycobilin fluorimetry
From: Christophe Leboulanger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:48:24 +0200

Hi all,
Here are the replies to my question about measuring in vivo PEs and PCs.

From Antonio Quesada <[log in to unmask]>

>you may detect easily phycobiliproteins (PBP) from dilute samples using
>fluorescence, the big problem is that there is a family of PBP with
>different spectral characteristics, this is why if you really want to know
>something about that, you will need to check more than one wavelength.
>MOreover, the big problem is that we do not have standards for quantifying
>PBP, it means that you only would be able of getting a relative
>measurement, not easily quantifiable. Extractive methods are not very
>sensitive and are somehow tricky, however, if you are interested let me
>know and can send you some references.

*******************

from [log in to unmask]:

>Please check the paper as on J. Phycol. 34, 945-951 (1998)

My comment: this paper (The phycobilins signatures of chloroplasts from
three dinoflagellate species... Hewes C.D., Mitchell B.G., Moisan T.A.,
Vernet M., and Reid F.M.H.) really deserves attention giving insights on
absorbance and fluorescence spectra for various species.

********************

from: [log in to unmask]

>Yes, phycobilins are routinely detected through in vivo fluorescence. Of
>course, it is a relative measurement and cannot be as easily calibrated
>through correlation with extracted samples, like chlorophyll a.
>People have used the following ex/em wavelengths  to detect phycobilins:
>620-630 excit/645-660em   phycocyanin
>550 ex/ 570-590em       phycoeurythrin
>Here are some references:
>Yentsch and Yentsch, Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev, 1984, 22, 55-98
>Lee, T., et al. Journ Appl Phycol. 6: 489-495, 1994
>Neale, P.J, et al., Limnol. Oceanogr., 1989, 1739-1748
>Cowles, T.J. et al. Mar. Biol. 115, 217-222, 1993

**********************
Thank you

Christophe

Christophe Leboulanger
Ecotoxicologie Algale
Station d'Hydrobiologie Lacustre
INRA, BP 511
74203 THONON LES BAINS cedex FRANCE
tel. 33 (0) 4 50 26 78 11
fax. 33 (0) 4 50 26 07 60

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask]  You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.  If you have further difficulty contact the listowner.