Subject: Re: Business case for a Web site serving up XML?
From: Baden Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:29:38 +1100

James Robertson wrote:
> At 10:23 25/02/1999 , Baden Hughes wrote:
>
>   | Not to mention the delay on XML support native in a browser has kinda
>   | stalled progress for the mass market. Hopefully IE5 will fix that.
>
> So, IE5 will allow us all to start sending XML to visitors of
> our sites? What about those who foolishly choose to use Netscape,
> Lynx, the new Notes browser, or Unix?
>
> "XML or die!"
>
> or is that:
>
> "XML and die!"
>
> (My vote: let's keep XML behind-the-scenes, and get on with
> real life.)

You could use environment variables to pick the up user agent and then do
the presentation rendering so you don't junk up the non-XML enabled
browsers. :-)

Besides, who says only IE will support XML long term ? I'm inclined to think
that all browsers will eventually support it reasonably well (hopefully at
least as well as HTML).

Baden