Re: XLink

"Roger L. Costello" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:15:28 -0500

parul agarwal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can any one tell me how do multi-directional links work in XML?
>
> Basically if I define 3 remote URLs in a extended link, how do these URLs
know, the way to travel to others or back.

> parul

I will give it a shot (if my explanation is not correct, someone please
let me know).

First, suppose that you are in a closed environment, such as an
intranet. Further, suppose that there is a links database and all
applications (such as browers) have access to the links database.

Now, suppose that you are at your browser and you bring up an XML
document that has an extended link (one-to-many, multidirectional). The
browser makes note of the link definition and inserts the link
definition into the link database. Now what happens when another user
hits one of those XML documents that is a target of the first XML
document's link definition? Here's the trick: all applications in this
closed environment first consult the links database to see if there are
any links in there that are relevant to the current document. In this
example, the application (browser) will find that this document is
involved in a multidirectional link between itself and the other
documents. So, the browser will insert a link in the current document
to the other documents. Thus, a user could right mouse click on the
current document to bring up a menu of target documents.

Well, that's my take on it. Comments are welcome. /Roger

P.S. Good question!