Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Arthur Darley
From: Gordon Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:57:21 +0000

Lorna LaVerne wrote:

>A Kerry musician? If "Darley" is correct, rather than "Carley" -- and this is
>the same person who composed the "Swedish Jig" (a.k.a. "Arthur Darley's")
>-- I
>thought  he was Scottish.

From the biographical notes in the Darley & McCall Collection published
by Ossian in 1984, but originally published c.1914 under the title 'The
Feis Ceoil Collection of Irish Airs':

'Arthur Warren Darley (1873-1929)

'A native of Dun Laoghaire, Arthur was a collateral descendant of
Field-Marshall Warren of the 'Wild Geese'. He numbered among his family
relations such celebrities Dion Boucicault and Lady Ferguson.

'From his eariest days, Arthur Darley loved and studied Irish Music and
his strongest desire wsa to suffuse his knowledge and to place his
country's music in its rightful position.

'As president of the Irish Music Club and as one of the founders of the
Feis Ceoil Association, he contributed extensively to the general
cultivation of both traditional and classical music in Ireland. His
interest in both types of music is obvios in this collection where a
number of tunes appear in keys not normally favoured by traditional

The airs, collected by both editors were [...] taken down from quite a
cross section of singers, musicians and even whistlers in most parts of
the country.'

Assuming this is the same man, although there is no mention of Kerry this
does not mean he didn't move there. The edition I have is a facsimile one
and there is no indication as to who wrote these notes. What I
'collateral descendant' might be, I have no idea.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Edinburgh, Scotland