Help for GAIDHLIG-A Archives

GAIDHLIG-A Archives

GAIDHLIG-A@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

GAIDHLIG-A Home

GAIDHLIG-A  February 1999

GAIDHLIG-A February 1999

Program ur air BBC Alba, "Na h-Eilthirich"

Ian MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>

Ian MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:54:04 -0000

Hallo.

Chuir mi an teachdaireachd seo air gaidhlig4u agus GAIDHLIG-B.
'S docha gum bi i inntinneach dhuibh an seo cuideachd.

Gabhaibh mo leisgeul, chan eil an teachdaireachd ach anns a' Bheurla.

Iain.

Iain MacDhomhnaill
(Dun Eideann, Alba)

A h-uile duine,

I posted a message recently about the BBC's forthcoming Gaelic-language
series, "Na h-Eilthirich", a documentary series looking into how and why
Gaels and Scots have found themselves scattered throughout the globe. (BBC 2
Scotland, Thursdays, 6.45 pm, with English subtitles.)

There is a website giving more information about the series, including
synopses of each of the eight programmes. The URL is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/gaelic/emigrants.shtml

(This is the English language version of the web page -- the Gaelic language
version can be reached by clicking the "Gaelic" button at the bottom of the
page. Some good practice for you!)

Having received some private e-mail about this series, I have been enquiring
whether it might be possible to obtain this, or any other of the BBC's
Gaelic programmes, commercially.

Apparently, there are no plans at present to release the series on video,
but if enough people watch it and/or make enquiries to the BBC, it could be
made available. Videos usually cost between 9 and 15 pounds (roughly $15 to
$25), and are sometimes available in NTSC format.

If you feel you might want to make an enquiry, the address is:
    Enquiries
    BBC Scotland
    Queen Margaret Drive
    Glasgow G12 8DG
    Scotland, UK
Or e-mail: [log in to unmask]

The BBC sells quite a lot of videos. It seems that about 30% of BBC
programmes are actually sold on video. But, as far as I can tell, *not one
single* Gaelic-language programme has been released.

I intend to write to the Head of Broadcasting at BBC Scotland (a Gaelic
speaker, apparently) to suggest releasing some Gaelic language programmes,
pointing out that Gaels and Gaelic learners overseas have at present no
access to Gaelic language programming from any source (as far as I know).

(The BBC's Gaelic broadcasts are generally very good. There are children's
programmes, documentaries, cultural programmes, a young people's magazine,
current affairs, and occasionally drama.)

I would be interested to find out how much demand there is for these
programmes among learners and native Gaels living outside of Scotland. The
main point is: how many people would actually want to *buy* these videos
(direct from the BBC) if they were available. If you think you might,
perhaps you could send me a short e-mail to: [log in to unmask] (no
commitment involved, I just want to find out whether it is worth pursuing
this matter further). I will let you know how much interest there is with a
posting to the lists.

When I was living in Japan, a colleague of mine used to receive
English-language videos marketed by the BBC, which contained a collection of
different programmes - comedy, documentary, drama, etc. These were aimed at
ex-pats living overseas, to give them a taste of home. (And given the
quality of Japanese TV, they must have been a life-saver for many English
speakers!)

If only the BBC could do something similar for Gaelic speakers! But perhaps
commercial considerations carry more weight than the needs of
minority-language speakers. What a world we live in!

Mise le meas,

Iain.

Iain MacDhomhnaill
(Du\n E/ideann, Alba)