Briefly rising to the challenge

John Birtwistle <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:44:44 -0000

Well, Mike, just a few things.

But first, my apologies to other list-subscribers.  It's just that, having
been so comprehensively misrepresented, I feel, for some reason not
unconnected with good old English fair play, that a few words in my defence
might be in order.

Of course I can't "prove" that you're deliberately misleading people.  You
post a message from Australia using the word "here" to refer to Wales, which
is misleading, and I assume it is deliberate.  However, perhaps you were so
pissed at the time that you really didn't know which side of the world you
were on - in which case it couldn't be deliberate, could it?  As a contest
that's a non-starter.

Obviously, I'm very sorry that Welsh language radio and TV didn't start back
in the 1930s (or even the 1830s), but there is very little anyone can do
about that.  It's there now and I realise that that isn't enough for you but
I'm damned if I can work out what would satisfy you.  Even we English
superheroes can't turn the clock back and "right past wrongs".

You say that you know where I'm coming from, so your crystal ball is in
excellent working order, but I'll take the risk of boring longer-standing
list-members with a brief restatement of my own circumstances.

I have one grandparent from each of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
(alphabetical order, before you see an insult to Wales).  This isn't unusual
for someone living in England.  Because I've always lived in England I am
English.  I have no desire to call myself Irish, Scottish or Welsh, why
would I?  I acknowledge my ancestry and I'm proud of it, but the UK is the
internationally recognised country whose passport I carry and England is the
bit I live in.  You probably get the same sort of thing with people who live
in Queensland or Western Australia.

Just over eighty years ago my grandfather (the Scottish one) was sent to the
bottom of the North Sea by some Germans in WW1, leaving my grandmother (the
Welsh one) with a splendid bronze medal, which she polished every day and
which I still honour, in exchange for a fully-working husband.  She also had
four children to bring up, including my mother.

Just over fifty years ago my father was sent to the bottom of the Channel by
some Germans in WW2.  My mother was six months pregnant with me at the time
and my other grandmother (the Irish one) was deprived of her only son.

To someone such as yourself, who still feels a deep resentment for something
which happened in 1282 (or so you told the list recently), you won't believe
the rest.

My reaction to these tragedies, and tragedies they surely were, is to fight
the sort of jingoistic bigotry which led ordinary people to lay down their
lives in order to promote the claptrap which was being peddled by
politicians.  When you make comments such as "only the English would beat
children for using their native language" (I paraphrase, but don't
misrepresent what you said), you are placing yourself firmly in the
tradition of bigots who seek to promote conflict.  You probably think that
Pol Pot would have been a cuddly teddy bear if he hadn't learnt from the
English.  That's certainly the picture of yourself which you portray on the
list.  If put in my place you would, I presume, abuse Germans whenever you
met them as you now abuse English people.

What I cannot do, a failure which you probably think is a personality
defect, is hate Germans or Austrians.  I don't blame Ray, who is probably
reading this with a resigned sigh, for killing my father despite Austria's
part in WW2.  I just don't have enough room in my heart for that sort of
hatred.

Despite your best efforts, I don't even dislike Welshmen.  I dislike
pseudo-Welsh bigots such as yourself (that must be fairly obvious by now)
but I'm perfectly happy to rub along with the vast majority of my fellow
citizens, whether Welsh, Scottish, Irish or English, who don't carry the
baggage of racial hatred which you willingly bear upon your shoulders.

You ask what is "here" in my remarks about wanting people who recognise a
bad situation and try to do something about it.  My answer would be "the
world".

A couple of minor points to finish.

Misspelling someone's name is generally regarded as impolite and I always
try not to do so.  Obviously I cannot know whether your misspelling of my
name is deliberate, but I thought you might like the gratification of
knowing that I find it mildly (no more, I'm afraid, because you are not the
first to use this trick) irritating.

If you feel like replying to this post, please don't bother to quote it.
I've already read it, and so has everyone else on the list.  We really don't
need to be sent it again.

All the best and keep taking the tablets

John B
An seanthuili cantalach
6/DT4 8LR, UK
+44 (0) 1305 789764