AFRIK-IT February 1999

Re: FW: kaduna/abuja

Tobias Eigen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:44:43 -0000

Hello Sunday,

Thanks for the prompt message. I was in fact hoping to get a response from
somebody in the ISP business in Nigeria! This is of course ideal, and I
would welcome responses from others as well.

We have not decided yet which provider (or providers) to use and welcome
suggestions. This is why I posted my message. I emphasise that I know little
of the state of ISPs in Nigeria. The last time I was there was 1995, and
that was to visit some NAN bureaus using EURAF's radio communications PCs,
which you may have heard of. For this project, the research has mainly been
done by our colleagues in Lagos (see CC list). In a preliminary proposal,
one option that was emphasised was to use Linkserve... but since this
included long-distance calls to Lagos from Kaduna and Abuja, we are anxious
about the phone bills--which ultimately will have to be covered by the
groups themselves.

I am not in the business of defining reliable service, but obviously the
criteria you name are important and I would be glad to receive details of
how NITEL stands, as would, I am sure, the Nigerian co-ordinator for our
project. Further, it would be interesting to know if an independent
evaluation has been done to compare the different competing ISPs in Nigeria
as is common in America and Europe? How does NITEL stand up next to its
competitors, not just in reliability but also in cost?

As far as the lasagne story goes: I have been to Nigeria before and am
looking forward to a second go at the food! I don't know the details of the
lasagne reference, but generally I try to go for the food that people eat in
the country I am in and relish the experience. Pasta is the one type of food
we cook for ourselves alot, so when out and about I tend to go for something
different. When I am in Germany, I tend to go for the "Doner Kebap", of
Turkish origin, and here in England I am trying to get used to Fish and
Chips. :-) I am glad to report, however, that the Doner is making inroads
here in Oxford. Most fish and chips vans (for they are mostly mobile) are
operated by Turks and they also serve up a mean Doner! The only problem is
that they only show up on the streets after about 11pm when the pubs close.
British fast food culture makes for a cultural experience of its own right,
but of course not to be compared with traditional Nigerian food!

Cheers,

Tobias
Tobias Eigen
32, Court Place Gardens