AFRIK-IT February 1999

Re: FW: kaduna/abuja

Sunday Folayan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:24:20 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello Tobias,

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Tobias Eigen wrote:

[..]

> The context is an Internet capacity-building project for human rights groups
> in Nigeria. We are nearing the date when identifying a reliable provider is
> becoming important to us (we expect to have the computers delivered by
> March).

On the lighter side: There is no Lasagne in Nigeria, but there is Afang,
Edikang Ikong, and Isi Ewu. The experience should linger for a while, but
don't over-enjoy the holiday, remember to do some work ;-).

Would be interesting to know your definition of reliable? is it any or all
of:
        1. Customer Support?
        2. Minimal downtime?
        3. Multiple Access lines?
        4. User to Modem ratio?
        5. Bandwidth?
        6. Throughput?
        7. Supported Protocols/software?
        8. Distribution of POPs?
        9. Disaster recovery procedure?

and many others?

> At this stage, the cities in Nigeria we are concerned with are
> Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kaduna.

... The Usual crowd. What about Enugu and Kano? For the cities you have
chosen, the only beast is Port Harcourt (PH), where parts have Pulse dial,
and others - Tone dial. God help your project if the PH office phone is
the pulse type.

> Any assistance is appreciated. I copy the message to AFRIK-IT with hopes
> that someone else on the group might also have ideas.

I suppose you must have done your survey using a of criteria.

> I would be interested to hear experiences people have had with NITEL,
> LINKSERVE and other providers in Nigeria.

Or that NITEL and other providers may be plugged into AFRIK-IT?

I assure you that call completion rate between the other cities is about
95%, while connection rate is over 99%. The trunk lines are limited, but
they work. NITEL has come a long way, and are improving their
infrastructure.

Reading through the other mails, it seems you already have decided on what
to do. Once you get on ground though, things will become clearer to you.
Be of good courage, but get very nice surge suppressors (75db should do),
and UPSs that can retain a lot of juice (Automotive Gas Oil is a bit
scarce now ;-).

Oh! remember to unplug the phone lines from the modems, when they are not
in use, otherwise, redo your budget and move modems to the consumables
category.

Good Luck.

Sunday A. Folayan
General Data Engineering Services Ltd