Subject: Sample XML data files with DTD and XSL
From: Charles Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:08:40 +0900

Friends,

There have occasionally been requests on this list from people completely
new to XML, for samples of XML files, DTDs, XSL files etc.

I have been compiling two lexicons for a number of years, extensive CJK
(Chinese-Japanese-Korean) to-English  references that have been on my web
site since 1995 in HTML format. These have been stored during this time in a
quasi-SGML-TEI structured text format. I have recently finished fully
converting these to XML and validating them, and have gotten them set up so
that they are browsable with the MSIE 5 beta. The format is extremely
rudimentary, with little styling and no XLinking, but they are nonetheless
viewable with a major browser (a major step!), so those who are constructing
their first DTDs and XSL files might be able to benefit from some of the
code to start their own basic documents.

For any of the XML pros out there who have a moment to take a look at this
material, I would appreciate any advice on implementing other functions that
are supported by MSIE5b2 that I may not know about. The HTML files are also
still available on the same site, so you can see what it is *supposed* to
look like, eventually. Of course you need CJK font support to see the East
Asian characters, but the bulk of the dictionary is English text.

I have uploaded just twenty of the 214 data files for the time being. These
will be upgraded regularly according to advancements in browser support and
the growth of my grasp on XML. Eventually this XML version should fully
supercede the HTML version.

The resource is located at:
http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller/dicts

Regards,

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi, Chiba 270-0161 Japan

Resource for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller