Help for DUBLIN Archives

DUBLIN Archives

Re: Weather? Holidays? Area? Industries?

Fergal Suipeil <[log in to unmask]>

Life in Dublin City <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:20:01 +0000

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi,

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Stephen B. Kimble wrote:

> from the States and just curious.
> what is the weather like at this time of year in Dublin?

Changeable. Ireland has a great climate but terrible weather :-)
Actually I don't think it's bad in general, and right now this
minute it's pretty good. It's bright and sunny, warm for this time
of the year (supposedly Winter), and there's a bit of a breeze.
It rained a bit earlier, it may rain a bit later too, but people
here are generally prepared for rain.

> are there any special days of observance in the next
> month or two?

17th March is St. Patrick's day, which is a national holiday.

> What are the main industries?

I haven't looked at a geography book lately so I'm guessing.
There's a lot of Computer Hardware and Software, including IBM,
Intel, Amdahl, Compaq/Digital, Oracle, Microsoft, Gateway. There's
a growing financial services sector. And there's always Guinness.
There was never really much heavy industry in Dublin.

> How far does Dublin extend? the area?
> Does one count what in the States we call suburbs?

It depends where you draw the line. There are about one million
people living here, maybe a bit more now. The vast majority live
in private houses rather than apartments, although this is changing.
The suburbs are spreading rapidly into what was once farmland.

Apart from eastwards into the Irish Sea, you could go 10 miles or
16 KM in most directions, and still be in what some people would
call Dublin.

The centre of Dublin is surrounded North and South by two roughly
semicircular (narrow) canals about a mile or two (3 KM) out. These
create a sort of psychological boundary which visitors might find
useful.
              Fergal.