AFRIK-IT January 1999

Re: Y2K: World Bank Y2K Survey (fwd)

Tobias Eigen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:08:33 -0000

Michael,

Thanks for this. I have to admit that, like many others I presume, I haven't
really been thinking much about the Y2K issue. An article by a World Bank
staffperson on the subject is an eye-opener. I am used to hearing panicky
news from America, usually associated with contingency plans like moving to
the desert, but it is discouraging to hear someone familiar with the
problems and issues of developing countries use the same type of language.

I am a little concerned about the vagueness of the threat described in the
article--there will be a 'chain of problems' that will affect us all, and
that seems hard to prepare for unless I do move to the desert. This
shouldn't be a problem for many Africans.

Since I will be heading to Nigeria to assist on a comunications capacity
building project using Internet and computers, I suppose I had better get
schooled on this subject. I know that the computers we intend to purchase
will be Y2K secure, guess those of the ISPs are, but don't know anything
about the phone companies in Nigeria upon whom of course they will depend
for their communications. I won't even speak of the electricity providers in
Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Port Harcourt.

Cheers,

Tobias
Tobias Eigen