Subject: xml namespace declaration - implicit or explicit?
From: "Roger L. Costello" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 7 Dec 1998 07:33:18 -0500

It is my understanding that an XML document can indicate an associated
XSL document as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml:stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="BookCatalogue.xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE BookCatalogue SYSTEM "BookCatalogue.dtd">
<BookCatalogue>
</BookCatalogue>

On the second line I have specified the stylesheet to use.  My question
is with regards to that line:  that line is stating that "stylesheet" comes
from the "xml" namespace.  However, nowhere is the xml namespace declared,
i.e.,
    xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/TR/xml"

Am I to assume then that the xml namespace is always (implicitly) declared
and everything in it is available?  Or, should the line have included a
namespace declaration:

<?xml:stylesheet
          xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/TR/xml"
          type="text/xsl"