Re: XML display with CSS

"Simon St.Laurent" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Dec 1998 22:54:08 -0500

At 08:37 PM 12/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Simon wrote:
>"...An XML document can be displayed using a 'light' style sheet, for
>instance CSS, and become visible/styled while retaining its data
>structures..."
>
>Is there a good tutorial out there for using CSS with XML -- and is IE5
>the only browser that can do anything with it??
>
>Ed.

Frank Boumphrey did a book (Professional Stylesheets for HTML and XML)
covering CSS and XSL. It's definitely worth a look - I loaned out my copy
shortly after I bought it and never got it back, but it looked good. (The
disappearing copy was a promising sign as well.)

The CSS2 specification itself is remarkably readable - see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/. It's one of the few specs I don't mind
recommending people read directly.

I cover CSS to some extent in XML: A Primer, but for real details of CSS,
it's probably better to look at a resource explicitly focused on styles. A
CSS book written for HTML might be helpful - the principles of using CSS in
both are pretty similar.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth (December)