Subject: Re: Semantic Minutiae
From: "John P. Mullen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:04:17 -0800

comments in-line

I suspect for similar reasons.  Why move forward into dependency and poverty
so some developer or lawyer can buy a few more $1000 suits?  There are some
who have moved and been successful, but many more who simply ended up worse
off.

The other problem is that some people unnecessarily insist on relinquishment
of one's culture and values as the price for "moving forward."

> Comparatively speaking, we work far less than a Peruvian native. Forty
> hours of work per week would sound to them like a pleasant vacation.

Muise!

To get an idea, try reading the first chapter of "Indian Givers," by Jack
Weatherford.  (Read the rest, too, if you want :-))

> Once again, I neither like, nor dislike, any particular racial or ethnic
> groups.  I must admit that I may be unconsciously biased towards some
> sub-groups, including some of the so-called "hispanics", this is
> unintentional and has to do with my upbringing and personal experiences.
> I recognize that as a potential problem, and have always taken steps to
> prevent same affecting my behavior towards these groups.
>
> Toots

A very mature outlook!

John Mullen