Re: English culture?

mike brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:09:16 +1100

[Sharon wrote:]
>>I think the point being made re housing issues, is not the lack thereof, or
>>over population, but almost a deliberate policy of exclusion, largely
>>attributed to wealthy people from the South who buy second properties in
>>Celtic areas, thereby making it impossible for young Celtic couples to
>>compete, who then in turn are forced out of their traditional communities.
>>This ultimately leads to cultural dispersion & fragmentation.
>
>But again, that's not a problem exclusive to Celtic communities.  I come
from a small Somerset village where at least three generations of my
maternal family had been brought >up.  My Mum had to move away as she
couldn't afford to buy a house there until I was 7. >My parents bought the
house for $35k in 1981, and sold it for more than $80k in 1988.  >In that
period house prices had rocketed because the village had been discovered by
>people who didn't mind commuting two hours to London, and because it was in
easy reach >of Bristol and Bath, and even south Wales.  I couldn't possibly
afford a house there >now.

You do yourself credit by 'grappling' with the issues you identify, unlike
some on this list who, without an opinion, answer a well-made point by
resorting to "you're just English bashing", "whining" etc. The issues your
post raises (housing, immigration and language) are probably the most
important one for the viability and survival of the Celtic countries.

Anyway, you point out that these housing issues (housing prices etc.) affect
people in English regions in the same way as they do in Celtic countries.
However, the difference between say housing in a village in North Wales and
a village in Somerset is not just a problem about housing prices in
villages, but one of countries and the right to self-determination and
protection (from having a culture 'watered-down' and anglicised). For
example, when people from London move to Somerset to live - it's strictly an
English affair or problem. However, when someone from London moves to a
village in North Wales (and this is happening far too quickly for the
fragile Welsh communities to cope with) - it's a Welsh problem. As Cairenn
pointed out, prices rise (because by definition the people who move there
from England can afford to move there and buy the houses, but the locals
can't) and the result is that the Welsh speaking community disperses and
fragments.

So what can the Welsh do about a Welsh problem?

Now, if people in England wish to demonstrate to their ('their' government
by virtue of the fact that the electorate in England is far the biggest in
Britain and so has greater influence than the electorate in Wales)
government about the erosion of traditional community life - all well and
good, and good luck to them. However, the position in Wales is that we can't
legislate or have a policy on local housing and immigration as we don't (as
yet) have a Parliament to enact such laws. As a result, a distinct,
culturally and historically a separate country, which should have a right to
self-determination is being eroded and we can do nothing about it except
demonstrate to an unsympathetic government in England.

Thanks for beginning to learn. Now unlearn.

Hwyl -- Mike.