Re: How to reprsent field length in XML?

"W. E. Perry" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:56:13 -0500

"Borden, Jonathan" wrote:

> If the question is about the design of applications which process data, I
> agree that particular db constraints are best abstracted out.

This was my point. The original question:

> I am curious to know whether there is a way of representing
> a database file field lengths in XML. For example, if I have
> three columns in a database as First Name of length 30 chars,
> Middle Name of length 20 chars and the last field as Last Name of
> length 30 chars.
> How do we represent this field lengths in XML?
seems to address the 'design of applications which process data' or, more
specifically, the design of the data (commendably to be committed to XML) for such an

> On the other hand, it is perhaps an XML document which is appropriate to store this
> abstraction.

Absolutely. An XSchema, perhaps.

> A stylesheet (let us assume this is DSSSL) is used to *enforce* constraints and
> carry out transformations. It is a reasonable suggestion that stylesheets be used to
> model database constraints.

I agree wholeheartedly.

> This can be argued either way, and I personally use both techniques depending on the
> specifics.

Since you have just carefully distinguished the data of the base XML document from its
associated schema and stylesheet, I have to think that the weaker argument would have
to be advocating that these three very different things be muddled together in the
same document.