IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  November 1998

IRTRAD-L November 1998

Re: folk & classical (ex: Egads...)

Anne Marie McNamara <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:07:47 EST

Dear Lister Pals,))))))
 This is my outcome of ruminating in the thought closets this weekend about
folk vs. classical.
Classical music will usual start with a lone individual's idea or creative
thoughts.  It is a person's vision of something. Under this umbrella is a
group of musicans who have decided to  trained with a very structured formal
environment to play something correctly and are taught in a linear heirarchial
manner to achieve unison or oneness. These musicans give of themselves to try
and faithfully depict the composer's vision of life or feelings of their own
life situation.  The achieve result is the composer's inner world becomes an
object of agreed formalized wholeness, included in this is the audience
participation, orchestras etc. Each orchestra even with the structure music
sheets plays the music and transforms it a within very structure environment
to reflect their own group interpretation.
Folk music has always belonged to the community, or the circle of the
cooperating collective.   It is part of the heritage of the culture of a
group. It was never intended to be one person's view of life. It begins with
the notion of a whole with the parts being with the whole. Who composes what
tune is interesting but it is not the main focus of the community. It is the
idea of the music/dances having their own voice, being alive and about  the
communities' life force. Now certainly within this structure family have
tunes, individuals have tunes. Tunes are passed from one person to another. It
is the joy of the music. I could go on a bit but for the most part listers
understand this, no more needs to be said by me on this subject. Many people
on this list could explain it far better than me.
Classical music is the idea of coming from an individual part to participate
in the whole with a linear beginning to form the whole. Folk music assumes the
whole/circular beginning and as we joyfully or not so joyfully argue among
ourselves about some aspect  of a tune the individual participates. The
closest analogy is breathing. In/out, In/classical out/folk  It was with
wonderment when I realized the musical pathways might be different but clearly
this in/out breathing would be the breathe of life of music. Spiral energy,
the DNA of the music.
One of my little serendipitous( might have made this form of the word up but
you know what I mean) pleasures was the night I read this folk vs. classical
discussion I saw Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill perform.   Also, one of my
dearest collegue's brother perfomed on the classical side and sing the tenor
part.  The concert was called Irish Fiddle Meets Irish Classical.  The
classical part was Irish poems set by Hamilton Harty.  A classical conductor
and pianist,  he grew up outside of Belfast.  His grand-neice Jane Harty whom
is also a pianist and played the accompaniment to her unc's stuff. She lives
in Tacoma and teaches voice at one of the local private universities.
Anyway what a joy to be able to HEAR  ruminating, a first for me. It was quite
amazing.  Martin and Dennis played and people were hooting and howling.[ Just
for info, while I knew some folks in the audience, none were from the Irish
music side of the tracts.  I personally would have like to see a little more
support for Martin and Dennis, another  judgment (grin) Oh wellll sprinkling
the holy water on myself. HEHE]
 On the classical side the audience clapped with a certain amount of formal
response and yelled bravo for the singers. They perfomed as the standard of
appreciation.  On the other hand, I sure it is their right one,grin.I am the
very educated need structure group" responds so full of life to Martin and
Dennis. It was delightful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was interesting to see how the
audience/ group functioned with the different styles of playing. People
watching.
Yours for a peaceful breathing world,  :==== 0 ) 0 )0) 0 ) You like the double
noses???Wink
Anne Marie