IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  November 1998

IRTRAD-L November 1998

Owning Up

Bill Black <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:35:10 EST

Owning Up: Let the Inquisition Begin [but only
if Zouki gets to run it]

So Coogan admits to being a closet Kelt. Well, folks, he
didn't have ol' Zouki here fooled for one goddam minute,
no sirree...I caught on to his "protesting too much" about
Scottish music long ago. And now we find out that Jimbo
and his band of Musical Wussies are [chuckles menacingly]
really "The Celtic Connection", loving the bejayzus out of
those awful strathspeys [= constipated hornpipes] and
meaningless Breton 14/8 clodhopping while secretly
saying rotten things about The Boys of Blue Hill and
The Ladies' Pantalettes [capital letters are there for a
reason]. [Personal note to JC: no wonder you don't see more
of Lukeen a Bhosca at your sessions! NOW we know why!]

Next we'll hear about somebody else's fixation on O'Carolan
[a British - Italian shoneen who wouldn't have cared about
Bridget Cruise's famous hand if it hadn't been extending a few
shiny English pounds or a piece of deep-dish pizza in his groveling
direction].

And furthermore we now know [choking back tears] that our beloved
Mike Dugger has occasionally donned gossamer robes and pointy hats
and gone traipsing through the misty meadows of Musical Impurity - and
[more tears, but rising indignant anger] been PAID for doing it!!?

What the hell gives here? There are some list members whose
affinity for the Naradan Heresies wouldn't surprise the old
Zoukmeister in the least, but COOGAN? DUGGER? By the clean shirts
of Yanni, this is getting damned serious!

So Zouki challenges all of the "Hey, you know, this Manx stuff isn't
ALL bad" battalion to emerge from their little Keltic burrows and
CONFESS their shortcomings in the clear daylight of a new pure
Irish traditional dawn. Put the kiwi fruit and portobello mushrooms
back in the refrigerator, dump the decaf lattes down the toilet, and get
out the corned beef, cabbage, and boiled potatoes, begod maybe a few turnips
too wouldn't hurt, and GET BACK TO THE REAL S(H)TUFF! [Note: the entire
previous sentence - with the exception of the last phrase - is to be
interpreted metaphorically, just in case you were wondering.]

Listies - and you know who you are - who wish to post confessional notes
to Zouki off-list are welcome to do so, but be warned that the mere posting
does not constitute the required evidence of a firm purpose of amendment
of your sick diseased depraved musical lifestyle. No, you must also perform
the penance Zouki assigns to you [e.g., burning a pile of Clannad posters in
the middle of your town's equivalent of a public square], whereupon you
will be fully restored to the company of Irish traditional musicians.

Working together, we can root out this growth of insincerity from our
midst, and get back to discussing tunes 'n' stuff.

Yours for purity at whatever the cost
Zouki
[former member of a band called "Celtic Tide", but regretting
it every waking moment of his life - there, that felt good!]