AFRIK-IT November 1998

Re: USAID-Bashing? No,

Christopher Byrne <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Nov 1998 23:05:53 -0500

Mr. Cochrane,

What I said ('oh that is a different system and office from what we are
doing so do not worry') was not meant as a quote but a summation of your
statement "How USAID is coping with Y2K problems pertaining to its
contractors and grantees in Africa and elsewhere is, it seems to me, a
completely separate issue, since that activity is managed by a
completely separate department with completely different people."  That
is because that is what it seemed like was being said.

My point is that even though it may be different departments with
different problems, the perception still arises as outsiders do not
necessarily make the distinctions that insiders would, and that is why
it is germane to this list.  It is also germane that if USAID is pushing
internet and other network development in Africa or any other part of
the world, they best get their own IT house in order.

And for the record, I never said that they got low marks for their work
in Africa but spoke specifically to their ability (or in this case their
inability) to get their own act together so that they can effectively
manage their programs in all areas.

Christopher