Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  November 1998

AFRIK-IT November 1998

Re: Functional ISPs or nodes in Brazzaville and Kinshasa ?

Pierre dandjinou <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:42:06 +0100

Dear Adrian,

In the framework of the activities of the Africa Internet Group which put
up a steering Committee in July 1998, we are organizing an all Africa
Conference on Internet governance in Cotonou, Benin from 15 to 17 December
1998. Who do you think we could invite for Sierra Leone? We are expecting
ccTLD administrators or ISPs or even ISOC Chapter representatives.

For Kinshasa and Brazzaville, I think these people have more details on
what is happening there:

-Frederic Gregoire ([log in to unmask])
-Louis Bokungu Bolese ([log in to unmask])

Regards

Pierre Dandjinou
Coordinator, AIG

At 18:11 17/11/98 EST, Adrian Labor wrote:
>Hello all
>
>War arrived at the door step of a couple of African Capital cities this
>year; E,g (Freetown, Brazzaville, and Kinshasa ).
>
>In Freetown, Email services around town and Full Internet connection
>initiatives within the local Telecom grounded to a halt along with all
>other facets of political and economic life.  Today, in Sierra Leone, they
>are thankful (especially at the telecom)  that no one supportive of the
>rogue government knew about the planned full internet connection.
>Ironically, the full Internet connection would have been inagurated the day
>the rogue government abruptly showed up.  The inaugural was done a year
>later after the seige of the capital city ended and the right government
>returned. To help with it pleas to the International community, the rogue
>Government had itself an Internet site in Maryland DC to publish its
>propaganda. It also declared that it had brought Internet to Sierra Leone
>with this dial-up access and unmanaged website hosted on an ISP server in
>Maryland DC. When the going got tough and the West African regional
>military force was bearing down on them, it blamed everything including the
>Internet access for internal leaks to a Radio Stations opposed to it and
>operating within the safety of the regional force. One of the few remaining
>Email service operations, such as a an IDRC-sponsored email pilot project
>was trashed and looted. Today the SL domain is alive. It may take time and
>encouragement before it will expand with sub-domains (xxx.sl). At the very
>least it is running.
>
>What happened to the Email Service, ISP and Internet Access Initiatives in
>Kinshasa and Brazzaville? Do you know if any of the ICT pioneers (local or
>international partners) are still at work.  Kindly pass on any information
>you may have on any one these two cities. Pointers (other than the NSRC and
>Mike Jensen's database)will be appreciated
>

>Adrian Q. Labor
>IDRC

Pierre Dandjinou        &&&&&   Tel : 229 31 53 84
Programme Officer for Africa
Sustainable Development Networking Programme
UNDP P.O.Box : 526 Cotonou Benin
"From the Pipes to the People : A key to sustainable development"