AFRIK-IT November 1998

Re: Low cost power protection?

Sunday Folayan <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:50:47 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Cliff Missen wrote:

> Hey AFRIK-IT and DEVEL-L'ers!
>
> It's been some time since I last posted, so I should let you know that I've
> abandoned the ivy covered halls of the University of Iowa and taken up
> residence at the University of Jos in central Nigeria.

Welcome to the battle front Cliff! I remember we spoke on the phone early
in October. Good to know that the list is recovering from sign-off
threats.

> So I'm looking for information on home-grown power protection.  Is it
> possible to couple a UPS with a larger battery to handle a larger amount of
> computers?  (We have two classrooms with 30 computers each.)

> Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

I once connected 4 90AH batteries to an APC BACK-UPS600 and it worked
beautifully. Powered our server for one year before lightening fried it
and the cyclades multi-I/O controller. I am not sure Jos beats Ibadan in
strikes.

My company does make and sell very nice UPS systems adapted for Nigerian
conditions (Randomized White-out, Brown-out and Black-out). They are 3KVA
beasts packaged in Baby AT cases. A cage on tiny wheels holds the 8 of
60AH batteries, configured in a series parallel configuration to give 48V.
In my office, we have 12 Clones running off it, giving us close to
2.5hours of backup time. The Server runs off another (1.2KVA version) that
gives it an all-night protection. We are discontinuing the 1.2KVA version.
Power availability in my street (Best performance) is 4Hrs on, 20Hrs off.

Asking price? N120,000 for the 3KVA, and N60,000 for the 1.2KVA. For our
International friends, At 85:1 - that is circa $1400, and $700.

Cheers.

Sunday A. Folayan
General Data Engineering Services Ltd
Ibadan - Nigeria