AFRIK-IT November 1998

Re: Kenya Y2K plan.

Lane Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:49:27 EST

I'll be out of the office until Oct. 29, 1998.
-------------
Original Text
From: Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>, on 11/5/98 12:22 PM:
To: <[log in to unmask]>

At 22:22 1998-11-04 +0000, Patrick O'Beirne reported:
>>From: "Dave Walton" <[log in to unmask]>
>>It appears that the committee appointed to plan Kenya's Y2K programme
>>will not report until the year 2000???
>>http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi-bin/Goto/110585

This from the front page of The Star, Johannesburg, 3 November 1998
<QUOTE>
Millennium isn't really bugging Kenya

Nairobi - The Kenyan government has formed a committee to
investigate problems that may be caused by the so-called millennium bug,
but its final report is due to be published months after the
much-prophesied
collapse of non-compliant computer systems.
The Daily Nation newspaper reported that the government formed the
committee on October 19 and ordered a final report on the consequences
of the millennium bug in 18 months' time.
"This fixed the deadline at April 2000, four months after the bug will have
taken effect," the paper said.
The year 2000 millennium bug could trigger a major failure of computer
networks worldwide after midnight on December 31 1999  - Reuters.
</QUOTE>

This is the type of reporting that really raises my hackles. A third hand
pick up from Reuters on a second hand report. Note the use of the
"socalled millennium bug" terminology. And this stuff makes front page
news.
Obviously things were a bit slack in the news office.
When the Star eventually gets around to reporting the truly revolting
Y2k mess that South Africa is in instead of trying to score points off the
misfortunes of the Kenyans, then they may regain some credibility.

I trust that our Kenyan correspondents are not going to take any
of this lying down. If the reports are true, then urgent action needs to be
initiated in taking the responsible government department to task.
Kenya has started their Y2k activity, but we are not seeing much reported
on what is happening. Presumably the World bank is assisting in
the setup of their National Y2k office. Let's hear from some Kenyans
out there.
CA
Chris Anderson          email:                       [log in to unmask]
Y2K Cinderella Project          [log in to unmask]
http://www.cinderella.co.za             Striving for Year 2000 Compliance