AFRIK-IT November 1998

more about Leland

Kathryn TOURE <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:22:25 -0000

Cases in point regarding Leland in Cote d'Ivoire:

Leland has without a doubt enabled ISP competition to flourish in Cote
d'Ivore ... thus bringing prices down and enabling greater access to
Internet.

good? bad?

It has also provided valuable Internet training and networking to NGO
professionals who otherwise probably would not have received such training.

good? bad?

All of this does of course support US foreign economic policy ... export of
computers, software, creating ability to buy from US busineses on the Web,
etc. etc.

good? bad?

Are there other country specific "cases in point" about Leland, positive
and/or negative ... that will allow us to better analyze/access (rather
than just saying "it's good" or "it's bad")?

Discussion of issues on this list has been a bit livlier of late ... and
lurkers have been coming out of the woodwork ... let's keep it up.

Kathryn Toure
Product Manager
INTERNET BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
Africa Online
Cote d'Ivoire

----------
> De : Brian Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
> A : [log in to unmask]
> Objet : Re: An African-American-Owned Company
> Date : mardi 3 novembre 1998 20:09
>
> Appreciate your thoughts, Bill.  No, no one claims to have all the
answers.  There are many worthwhile activities funded by both African and
international aid agencies designed to enhance Internet connectivity and
effective Internet use in Africa.  AVSC's proposed online "comprehensive
virtual training course on infection prevention" seems a good example.  Yet
before you deride the contributions made by USAID's Leland Initiative, I
suggest that you give a little more thought to how Leland's contribution
over the last two and a half years may ensure that just a few more African
health professionals have access to your online resource.

> Material assistance aside, the Leland Intiative has sought to work with
its African partners to enhance human resource capabilities to better
manage the Internet connectivity they own and to effectively use the
Internet as a development resource.  Some of these efforts have included:

> Network Operating Center staff training in countries where the Leland
Initative has facilitated gateway and secondary-city connectivity.

> Counsel and technical training for Internet Service Providers.
>
> Assistance to African ministry and regulatory officials in determining
appropriate pricing structures for in-country Internet access.

> Development-focused Internet end-user (and training-of-trainers) training
for over 1,000 Africans, including training in Kenya, Mozambique,
Madagascar, Cote d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Benin, Ethiopia,
Rwanda, Uganda, and Zambia.  With the same number expected to be trained
(using African and U.S. based trainers) in the coming two years.

> Support of Internet-application projects with African partners in health,
agriculture, democracy and governance, economic growth, and education
sectors.

> Support for African participation at African and international  Internet
and telecommunication workshops and conferences.

> For further detail, feel free to consult: www.info.usaid.gov/leland/
>
> If you would like to suggest ways in which those interested in Internet
promotion in Africa might more effectively mashal their resources, what
better forum than this.  I look forward to your suggestions.

> Brian Bacon
> AED/Leland Initiative

> Actually, the Leland Initiative is an excellent example. At every meeting
I've attended where the Leland Initiative was discussed, it's been the
consensus of the foreign aid organizations that this is exactly the kind of
project NOT to do. Some USAID-funded organizations (mine, for one) have
been very vocal in their opposition to the Leland Initiative, and very
dubious of the advertised results (or lack of). Still, no one claims to
have the answers, but I truly believe that many organizations are at least
more sensitive to the real issues.