AFRIK-IT November 1998

Affirmative Action

Jerry Medley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:27:38 EST

I take exception to your implication that Affirmative Action was some kind of
rear-ended discrimination.  [log in to unmask]

I only read about what the Europeans did in Africa.  But I feel still the
impact of what they did here in America.

Have them bring your people over here in ships from Africa, have them rape
your women, separate your familes, put your men in jail for breaking their
Europeanized laws, have your women doubt their beauty because their women are
plastered all over the place, watch your children grow up in gangs -- killing
off each other, watch your young men and women succumb to dope and alcohol,
watch just a minority of Black people in America escape the Europeans'
"American Society," and then tell me Affirmative Action was a form of
discrimination to all peoples.  Where are all the peoples when a Black person
is refused housing or a job based on his color.  Okay tell me that my race is
not a special circumstance here in america, and needs special help -- I'll
tell you to look in the jails and see how many sons of Europeans are there as
compared to my sons -- but no -- tell me again -- so I can understand and stop
crying - go ahead -- tell me about all peoples.

Linda Solomon

Maybe it has but only about the fact that all people are equal and
that any form of discrimination based on gender or race, or any other
grounds, is totally unsupportable on any grounds. Even Affirmative
Action projects need to be seen in the specific context they are targetted
to correct.

I spent most of formative and adult years resisting discrimination
both actively in my small way and very positively in the decisions I
took and I still hate it with a passion.

In a message dated 11/3/98 1:41:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,