Subject: Re: Word/WordPerfect and XML
From: David Hopp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:40:58 -0400

Real confusion runs rampant ... to use XML is not some isolated activity.
It requires agreement in field of activity as to what's called what ...
there's no magic in XML.  So now a grad student not only has to figure out
how to use XML, but also has to create or find or mangle some agreed
nomenclature ... and find some faculty member or other university staff to
validate it ...

As for pdf ... well, the FDA is using it now to accept parts of regulatory
submissions.  One of the main reason IMHO is to be able to handle the
complicated tables (word processing, not html) that can be cobbled together
in Word or WordPerfect.  These tables don't convert well, if at all,
between word processors, or to html, and are often more creative soarings
than essential.  Personally, I think pdf is worth maybe another ten years
... good old ASCII, dull as it is, does most jobs (except for things like
formulas).

One would hope that the information in theses is reasonably important, but
personally I think that good abstracts, key wordings, etc., are quite
useful and require only a small amount of the work for something like XML.

Murray Altheim <[log in to unmask]> on 10/05/98 01:46:37 PM

Please respond to Murray Altheim <[log in to unmask]>