Subject: Word/WordPerfect and XML: pdf demise????
From: David Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:10:39 -0500

A comment on the ".pdf" is dead or dying theme: I think rumours of its
death have been premature as I see an increase in its use, giving an
increasing base.  For instance, Reed-Ellsevere (sp!) has just recently
started changing the format of the electronic versions of their journals
from SGML to .pdf (as reported at the International Consortium of Library
Consortiums in Denver this month).  They have started the process of
leaving SGML and going to .pdf and may even convert _some_ of their back
issues.  Another example: The Louisiana Consortium has gone to .pdf as the
format for their Electronic Reserves, choosing it over SGML and HTML.  I
agree with one poster on this list who said he felt .pdf will be around for
another 10 years.

Having said that, I'm very interesting in seeing the development of XML.

TTFN,
David Merchant
Systems Librarian
   Louisiana Tech University