Re: Word/WordPerfect and XML

Avi Rappoport <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:00:50 -0700

At 7:51 AM -0700 10/6/98, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> You want grad students to teach this?! I wasn't even assuming that. I'm
> claiming it's too much for them to take it! much less teach it! The
> bottom line is youre asking students to take yet another course outside
> their field that has no relevance to their professional education. You're
> just not going to convince a Classics student with a concentration in Homer
> that XML is relevant to their work. Especially when they can use Nota Bene
> or other specialized software to get the accents right, but they can't yet
> use XML. Ditto for science students who need to write equations. The
> specialized word processors in the individual disciplines work. XML
> equivalents are pure fantasy at this point in time.

Acutally, Classics grad students are extremely interested in markup,
because they are so texturally-oriented. They do a ton of research with
documents from 200 BC to yesterday, so they have to know about what they're
getting. For example, if you can separate "original source, my
translation" from "original source, original language" from "original
source, someone else's translation" from "secondary source", you reduce
drudge work immeasurably. Weren't Classics folks a big part of TEI?

I agree that the specialized word processors are important, but it's pretty
easy for them to export XML, MathML, ChemML or whatever.

Avi
Avi Rappoport, Web Site Search Tools Maven <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Guide to Site Indexing and Local Search Engines: <http://www.searchtools.com>