Subject: Re: I need to know -- PERIOD!
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:44:01 -0500

At 04:40 PM 10/4/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Just to confirm something that I think I know (and if only to reveal just
>how little I actually do know<g>)...

>Am I correct that periods should not be used for abbreviations such as...

>        Mr Johnson
>        Ms Smith
>        Dr Schweitzer, PhD
>        St Louis, Missouri

>...that is, is that true for each of the above examples?

The answer is that it depends on editorial style.

Common U.S. style is to use periods with all abbreviations.

The "Oxford" style is to omit the period in abbreviations where the last
letter of the abbreviation is the last letter of the word. Thus Doctor = Dr
but Drive = Dr. Saint = St, Street = St.

Ms is not an abbreviation and never takes a period.

A very small number of editors will leave out all periods, but this is rare.

-dh

---
Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
312-953-3679        fax: 312-803-0698     orders: 800-810-3311
For information about SERIF: THE MAGAZINE OF TYPE & TYPOGRAPHY,
http://www.quixote.com/serif/ or mail [log in to unmask]