Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  October 1998

AFRIK-IT October 1998

Re: Telecom for Rural Development Conference Newsflash Oct.21/98 -Reply

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:15:55 +0200

George,

In message <v04003a05b25e804a8741@[128.122.207.27]>, George Sadowsky writes:

> I realize that by entering into this discussion I run the risk of
> prolonging it, so I write this with some reluctance.

That would be a first.

> This is my first posting to this list; I've been a lurker for a year
> or so.

That's actually not true, you prolonged the "Sojourn in the land of
Cognac" thread, on June 15 1998. And the lurking tells me something of
the importance of this list.

> There is a Gresham's law to lists as there was thought to be in
> economics years ago.  It is, simply, "Bad postings drive out good
> ones."

I agree.

> In specific terms, every post like yours drives people who have
> something to say away from the list.

Ah, that is a matter of opinion.

Now I could just call you a Flag Planter or I could start a discourse
about emancipation or "Bite the Hand that Feeds You". But I think I
get as many private support message from south of the equator that you
get from the north.

The very reason I posted this particular message (the bloating) in
this articular language was because someone from the US pointed oout
to me, quite rightly that this has less relevance to the list as the
Guide to Italian Restaurants in Guelph and I was letting it slide by.

> So keep this up, and there won't be any conversation left, and
> you'll have your bandwidth free and clear, all to your lonely self.

You seem to underestimate me very much and to overestimate my
influence for the list.

> I think it is presumptuous for anyone, including you, to judge so
> severely, so publicly, and in such a bandwidth-intensive manner,
> posts to the list that are likely to have some bearing on African
> Internet development.

Freedom of speech? New concept to you?

> Did you stop for a minute to think that just knowledge of the
> existence of this conference might cause someone in Africa to write
> the organizers, perhaps get a URL to papers presented, and thereby
> make that body of knowledge, warts and all, available to the African
> networking community through this list?  I doubt that you did.

Actually, <long pause>, I did.

> And, assuming that Vanessa Miller in fact is a student, you have
> shown her the worst kind of model for students interacting with
> those with more experience.  You've displayed sarcasm, crudeness,
> arrogance and claimed superiority based upon age, rather than
> understanding, counsel and education.

That's a very important point you are making here, albeit probably
unwittingly, that form is more important then content. I have no time
whatsoever for this (Political Correctness), I live in the real world
of Africa.

Who asked you to defend her in the first place?

> You owe her an apology.

For what? For not being Politically Correct?

greetings, el