Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: air sailleabh
From: Tris King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Sep 1998 08:51:52 -0700

Re: Speaking Our Language:

Sgri\obh Frank:

>Tha mi airson #3 agus #4 SOL fhaighinn ach mar a fios agad tha iad ann
>dreach UK. Am bheil sibh reicinn an clÓran-dealbh seo ann dreach USA? De
>tha'n pris 'converted to USA format?

Actually, I got the information on "air sailleabh" from the SOL
*audiotapes*, not from the videos.  The SOL audiotapes are *very* good, and
at our Gaidhlig booth at the huge Scottish Gathering and Games in the San
Francisco area this weekend, I met a piper who had actually taught himself,
by himself, to speak very passable beginners conversational Gaidhlig, using
only the audiotapes.  His accent was remarkably good.

One of the nice things about the SOL series is that the books, videos and
audiotapes are designed to be used completely independently of each other.
You don't need to own one in order to be able to use the other.  What this
piper did, and what I myself have done, is to simply play the audiotapes
over and over again -- whichever series level you're comfy with -- at home,
at work, or in the car, until Gaidhlig phrases start popping into your
head, unbidden.  It's a long-term, slow-progress technique, but it's really
effective for acquiring an ear for Gaidhlig, and is supported by
contemporary theory on learning.

SOL video conversion from PAL to NTSC format varies wildly in price -- I've
heard prices as low as 20 bucks for the two tapes, and as high as 60
dollars.

Of course, as a general comment, no one needing to convert an SOL tape
should do so without first purchasing the tape in PAL format from Canan or
from a legitimate reseller.  SOL is an invaluable resource for learners,
especially so for those of us far from the Gaidhealtachd, and Canan
deserves proper remuneration, so that they may continue merchandising and
promoting SOL.   My understanding is that if it were to become
cost-effective, Canan would consider marketing the whole video series in
NTSC format.  Hopefully Caoimhin or Jenny from SMO will be able to shed
more light on that likelihood.

Le du\rachdan,

Toirstean

Tris King
Toirstean MacRobainn
Taigh Fiona 's Bhuntata Taobh an Uillt
SCOTTISH GAELIC LEARNERS ASSOCIATION OF THE BAY AREA
->See our web site for resources, reviews, and
recommendations for learners of Scottish Gaelic,
including instructional books, tapes, videos,
mail order, classes, web links, and other Gaelic resources.
Go to: http://members.tripod.com/~scotgaelic/
THE SCOTTISH GAELIC WEB RING
->Join the Scottish Gaelic Web Ring!
Go to: http://members.tripod.com/~scotgaelic/webring.html