Subject: Re: Mixed Marriages
From: Shae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Sep 1998 21:40:07 +0100

Martin scribbled:

>However, it should be noted that the Republic
>is much more laissez-faire about such matters
>than the North.

I think I might have mentioned before that when we had our last census here
in the Republic, there was a question on religion.  Each person in each
household had to be accounted for.  We only had our own family in the house
at the appointed hour, so it wasn't too complicated.  There are five in our
family, and the census form on the religion question read:

None x1
Christian x 2
Church of Ireland x1
Roman Catholic x 1

We're probably a bit unusual, but Martin is right when he says we're much
more easy going in the Republic about the other person's religion than
people in the North.  We don't really talk much about it, and don't really
care.  As long as somebody fits in to the community, and doesn't make a
nuisance of themselves, they're as welcome as the flowers in May,
irrespective of their religion.  The only derogoratory expression, if you
could call it that,  I've ever heard was 'He plays with his left foot', when
a RC was talking about a Protestant.

My core group of friends are RC, Athiest, Asatru, Church of Ireland (sorta
Anglicans) and non-practicioners of anything but who claim to be CoI, RC,
etc.  The only source of contention at the moment is whether Galway or
Kildare will win the all-Ireland football final.

But if you want an arguement about religion, come to the Black Swan, have a
few pints, talk about your views and LISTEN too, and we'll make sure you get
home safely afterwards.

Shae