Subject: Re: Essay: Cement Shoes for XML?
From: Jon Bosak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:49:40 -0700

[Simon St.Laurent:]

| My latest essay, Cement Shoes for XML?, explores some reasons why
| client-side XML support, at least in the dominant browsers, may be
| slow in coming.  Hopefully, I haven't said anything too rude, but it's
| the result of several weeks of frustration brought on by reading
| articles about how slow and/or broken the XML development efforts in
| the current browsers appear to be.

I agree with the thrust of your essay; see the last section of the
presentation I gave at the GCA SGML/XML Conference in Paris this year:

   http://www.gca.org/conf/paris98/bosak/sld00000.htm

I must say that I'm puzzled at the lack of response to Netscape's
public appeal for people to jump in and build XSL support into
mozilla.  There's supposed to be a nifty new rendering engine in there
that supports the flow object concept, or so I've been told, and now
there's actually the beginning of a public spec to build against:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl

I thought that the idea of a Gnu-like effort based on a huge body of
existing code would strongly appeal to the hacker in some people, but
I guess not.  Too bad; if we rely on the major players to give us
*really* open standards, it's never going to happen.

Jon