Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

IRTRAD-L Home

IRTRAD-L  September 1998

IRTRAD-L September 1998

Re: Cherish the ladies - Solas- Keenan Tonder Denmark

Thomas Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:47:54 +0200

How'ye doin',

thanks for the info on Cherish The Ladies, Jim and John. No,
Winnie didn't jam with CTL on the last afternoon concert. She sat
in the wings with the other musicians from Solas. This all took
place in a massive circus type of tent. Ron Kavanah was the
compere for the afternoon. I was impressed by Joanie Madden's
sound on her metal flute. Aoife Clancy, fine singer, sang with Dublin
band, Danu at a late night session in an old windmill together with
Niamh
Parsons. The session started at 1 am and went on to four am Sunday
morning.
As said, Ron got Paddy Keenan to play with Solas on the Saturday
afternoon
concert. Karen Casey asked Paddy to sit by her side, which he did. Now
and then
he'd get and pace slowly about the stage holding his pipes. I took a
photo of
yer man and got the traveller nod. Great fellow that he is. At one point
Solas, Scottish band Keep It up, Danu, Niamh Parsons, Na Keen Affair
were all playing together on the stage and finished off the afternoon
concert
with, the bang of the latch as Seamus Ennis said, The bucks of Oranmore.
Niamh Parsons and Ron Kavanah sang a fine version of Kavanah's tribute
to Alex Campbell and Hamish Innish, two Tonder veterans,  who passed
away
not too long ago. Danu were in fine form with a great singer from
Waterford
(forgot his name Colm O' Connor?). Danu's piper is a good man on the
bodhran too. There was lots of fine bands at Tonder, but for me Solas
stood out. They play as a group in spite of the fact that each one, as
 Seamus and Karen have done, is capable of fine solo prestations.
Before seeing them I expected Seamus Egan to stand out and be the
leader so to speak, but if anything Winifred Horan played a more
leading role, as her fiddle was to the fore the whole performance.
Karen Casey sang Roger the miller, and The world turned upside
down from her Songlines CD, plus Newry Town, Pastures of plenty
a song in Irish in tribute to the victims of the recent Omagh bombing.
and a couple of other songs. John Doyle in good voice did a solo
song accompaning himself in a sort of B tuning, an open D but with the
E strings tuned to B, this he explained to me afterwards when I
interogated
him, otherwise he uses dropped D tuning on the other guitar he used.
Seamus Egan was also in fine form. I like his style of flute playing,
changing the octave here and there, and using dynamics a lot.
Yes, Ayelet, he seems a very likable man, and I accept that Winnie
is in good company, I raise my glass to them.

There weren't so many sessions this year in the sessions tent as from
11 am to 1 pm, and from 5 pm each day, people were performing on
a small stage, sort of another club tent. I met Rolf Wangels with Claus
Steinhort however, how'ye doin' Rolf and Claus, and manged
to do a few tunes with bodranist Gunther from Kiel. For some
reason oldtimey music seemed to rule the session tent
inbetween performances when I was there.

Thomas Johnson