Subject: Re: Capercaille concert
From: Juliet Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:00:46 PDT

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject:      Capercaille concert
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>My husband and I went to the Capercaille concert at Cal State
Northridge last
>week.
>I would like to give at a good review, as I really love their CD's, but
I'm
>fraid the show was a bit flat.  It started out more than half an hour
late,
>and we were kept out of the auditorium for a good deal of that time,
which
>didn't help any.

I just saw Capercaille in Portland, OR On Sat. night. This show started
out a bit flat too, although we were only kept waiting 15 min. After the
first two or three songs things livened up a bit though.

 There was no sense of dynamics to the show, no pacing, reel
>after reel and mouth music which all sounded relatively the same
followed each
>other.  Karen Matheson sat down behind the drums when she wasn't
singing, and
>there were only 2 pieces with any harmony at all.

There were alot of reels and mouth music here, but the venue had enough
space to allow for dancing by the audience which helped to create a
rapport. They also some stuff off 'Sidewaulk' that had vocal harmony.

>The one bright spot of the evening was her a capella rendition of the
Lament
>form "Rob Roy", during which the audience barely drew a breath.  Other
than on
>that song her handling of the microphone was erratic, backing it off so
that
>we could not hear her words, comming so close that they were muffled,
etc..

No problems withthe technical sound stuff here. I had no trouble hearing
her and I was in the balcony.

>Perhaps we have been spoiled by the live performances of Clannad, which
cost
>less than the price tag on these, ran longer, and were beautifully
produced in
>dramatic contrast between songs with stories about them, some
translation for
>those of us who don't speak Gaelic, and which have harmony (which a lot
of the
>songs on the Capercaille recordings do), but both my husband and I were
quite
>disappointed with the evening.
>
>Ruadh

Personnaly I've never thought much opf Clannad, and I liked that they
(Capercaille) have enough faith in thier music to not need to preface it
with endless babble (my personal #1 concert pet peeve). Here Karen
Matheson did give a brief overview of what the Gaelic ballads were
about.
Almost all of Portland's small gaelic-speaking community made it out
that night and the venue was small enough that there was a real sense of
comradrie. Even with the slow start I'd be hard put to say when I
enjoyed a concert more.
Juliet