Re: The Fates

Francine Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:06:34 -0400

        Bill wrote:

> Then having a 'free will choice' would seem to abbrogate fate or
> destiny?

        Your conclusion suggests that everything that happens to us
results from the choices we make. Realistically, there are many things
over which we have no control. My personal opinion is that what happens
to us is a combination of the consequences of the choices we make and
the things that happen over which we have no control. Acting in a way
that is "right" (cert) with the universe maximizes the beneficial
potential of that over which we have no control because acting "right"
means that one is not acting against the universe. At least that's my
reading. I don't remember anything written specifically about this in
the early Celtic materials. However, Peter Glassie in _Passing the Time
in Ballymenone_ describes this notion as he found it among the residents
of that village in Fermanagh. I think the ideas Glassie presents are
consistent with the notions that underlie the myths of Ireland and
Wales.

        Francine Nicholson