Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Local names of introduced algae?
From: Inger Wallentinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:12:46 +0100

Within a EU/Concerted Action Ballast water project we will review a number
of case histories of species introduced to Europe (mainly animals). Since
Undaria pinnatifida for certain has been found transported by
ships/pleasure boats (either in tanks or on the hulls) and Sargassum
muticum might be transported, at least secondarily, by boats or might be
entangled in other attached organisms, they will be included.

We also decided to try to list national/local names in those cases there
are such names. Thus I would very much appreciate if some of you knowing
such names for these 2 species could help me.

So far, for Sargassum muticum I have the names used in Swedish, Norwegian,
Danish and in English, and  Rosa Veijo, our Spanish post doc, said they
used  "Sargasso" or the Spanish wording for "Strange seaweed" in northern
Spain.

Do you know of local names of this Sargassum species in other languages
(German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch or any Asian name? Are there
any names used for the Pacific coast from Mexico to Alaska? How for other
parts of Spain?

For Undaria I do not know any other name than wakame, and that Japanese
kelp sometimes is used in English. Is there any name in French or Italian
where it occurs, or in Argentina (Korean kelp?) and how for the rest of the
European languages.

Thanks in advance for any contributions

Inger Wallentinus

Inger Wallentinus

Botaniska institutionen, Marin botanik (Department of Marine botany),
Goteborg university

P.O. Box 461
SE 405 30 GOTEBORG, Sweden

tel: Int.+ 46-(0)31 773 27 02
fax: Int.+ 46-(0)31 773 27 27
E-mail-address: "[log in to unmask]"

Visiting address:
Carl Skottsbergs gata 22 b

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask]  You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.  If you have further difficulty contact the listowner.