Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  September 1998

AFRIK-IT September 1998

Re: CENTR Statement on Fourth Draft Definition of the New IANA

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:25:47 +0200

Hi,

I find the below statement of Niall O'Reilly on behalf of CENTR
entirely reasonable, and on behalf of the NA domain support it.

However I would like to point out that for the U.S. government to
privatize essential functions of the Internet in such a rush job
without prior consultation of the stake holders is quite incredible,
and then to encourage the two government contractors who have most to
gain to make up the proposal on how to do it, strikes me as an
unprecedented attempt at railroading the many smaller interested
parties. Parties which have created the Internet and brought it to
where it is today. Examples of the attempts at railroading can be read
in many reports from the recent meetings in Reston, Geneva and
Singapore.

I always thought that Democatization, Due Process, Avoidance of
Conflict of Interest and other democractic principle were fundamental
to the US government, at least that is what developing countries are
being told by the US aid agencies when it comes to funding requests.
But then I may be naive. However I am quite sure many lawyers will
make a lot of money of this.

I strongly urge to reconsider the deadline and move it back to at
least to the end of the year if not the middle of next year so the
privatization process (which I support in principle) can be done
right.

I urge (African) Domain Managers to come out strongly in support of my
above stated position(s) on this issue.

el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\         /                 Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>         *        |                  Resident Medical Officer