Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Gaelic Classes-Fall 1998-Richmond, VA
From: Jana Blue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Aug 1998 08:56:58 -0500

Hello all Scottish Gaelic Enthusiasts:

     Our schedule for all classes and activities has been set and I am
looking forward to seeing all of you again.  This fall we are very
fortunate to have Dr. Jamie MacDonald as our teacher.  Many of you will
remember Jamie from our SGER Retreat Weekend last spring and from his
teaching at the ACGA Immersion Weekends.  He is a fluent Gaelic speaker who
mastered the language while living in Scotland where he earned his Ph. D.
at the University of Edinburgh's School of Scottish Studies.  He stays very
busy traveling to fulfill his passion of teaching Gaelic and we are very
happy that he will be traveling to Richmond to teach us. The cost of the
Fall session is $75.00.  This covers instruction, some class materials and
lunch for the 4 classes.

Our class schedule is as follows:
October 10, November 7 (at our Fall retreat, please come to class even if
you can't make it for the whole weekend), November 21 and December 12.
All classes (except November 7) will be at Crestwood Presbyterian Church on
Jahnke Road.

Each class day the schedule will be as follows.
9:00 - 11:00 - Level I
11:00 - 12:00 - Song Workshop
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:00 - Level II
We have been asked to sing at Crestwood Presbyterian Church during the
Advent season so the song workshop will be very important for everyone.

     Also on our Fall calendar is the Richmond Highland Games and Celtic
Festival at Strawberry Hill on October 24-25.  We will be participating at
the ACGA tent with songs, Gaelic mini-lessons and waulking demonstrations.
We will also have books, learning materials and music for sale from Thistle
and Shamrock Books.  There will be a ceilidh at my house on Saturday night
(not to be missed!!).

     Our SGER Fall Retreat at Camp Hanover, November 6 - 8, will surely
rival the success of the Spring Retreat.  We will arrive and gather Friday
evening after dinner for the Welcome Ceilidh.  Saturday after breakfast we
will have class and lunch following the same schedule as regular class
days. Saturday afternoon will be free for hiking, sleeping,
studying...whatever you want to do.  THE ceilidh on Saturday night will be
followed by a little sleep and a late breakfast Sunday morning.  After
breakfast we will have Gaelic story and song time with lots of coffee and
we will depart after lunch.  The cost will be $60 for those taking the fall
classes and $80 for others.  This cost covers  lodging, food, refreshments
and fun from Friday evening through Sunday lunch.  The lodging is in heated
longhouses on bunk style beds.  It is rustic but quite comfortable.  The
"facilities" are a short walk through the woods but also heated and
"comfortable".

Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to be a part of
our wonderful Fall classes.  I am looking forward to hearing from all of
you.

Mise le meas,

Jana Mairi Blue