Subject: Re: standalone
From: Chris Maden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:31:48 -0400

[Richard Lander]
> There was some talk about the SDD a couple of weeks ago. I gleaned
> from that conversation that you can make declarations in the
> internal subset and still qualify for 'standalone="yes"', but not in
> the external subset.

Yes.  Standalone means that this entity has what you need.  The
internal subset is in this entity; the external is not.  Therefore, if
what you need is in the internal subset, it is in this entity, and the
entity is standalone.

> The downside of that is that you must deliver those declarations
> with each instance, instead of referencing a central mini-DTD, or
> can you? Could you define your mini-DTD, possibly a few entity and
> element declarations, save it to the file-system, then reference it
> by way of an entity in the internal subset?
>
> For example:
>
> <?XML version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
> <!DOCTYPE test [
>
> <!ENTITY % mini-dtd SYSTEM "mini.dtd">
> %mini-dtd;
> ]>

(Yes, this does need pero, as corrected above.)

No, it is not standalone (assuming that mini.dtd has necessary
attribute defaults or entity declarations), because this entity is not
sufficient unto itself, and is therefore not standalone.

-Chris