Re: Font Classification Site

Rodolfo Capeto <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:02:03 -0300

TEXT/PLAIN

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Hrant H. Papazian wrote:

> 1. Vox's "Manuaires" -and probably DIN's "Handschriften Antiqua"-
> don't really match Adobe's "Display": they're just a subset.

You're right. This inconsistency was caused by Adobe itself, as
they decided to stuff Vox's 'Manuaires' "slot" with all other
display faces.

The reference I had used for Adobe's classification was an
early _Adobe Type Guide_. They have altered and expanded their
classification system since. By then the only class they had
added to Vox's was the Symbol fonts class.

(It's important to note that Vox's was a *type* classification
 system, while Adobe's had to be a *font* classification system,
 naturally.)

So, they had to re-define the 'Manuaires' (they kept Vox's names),
in the French section of the Guide, like this: « Si les caractères
de cette famille regroupent des éléments très hétéroclites, ils ont
au moins une chose en commun. Ils donnent leur meilleur effet
lorqu'ils s'étalent en grand, par exemple pour la composition
de manchettes ou de titres. » ... ;-)

> 2. "Grunge" fonts don't fit *anywhere* in Vox...

Probably the pious Vox couldn't imagine what the future had in stock...

> 3. The DIN "Antiqua Varianten" doesn't sound like it
> matches "Glyphic/Icises".

However - if my memory serves - they are just that.
(And, yes, Trajan has been classified as a Glyphic/Incise typeface,
at least in that early _Adobe Type Guide_ I used...)

> Also, I think "Blackletter" should also be a subcategory in "Display".

From a narrowly synchronic perspective, perhaps. But these classification
systems aren't meant merely to provide a means to organizing font files in
folders... - they are an approach to the understanding of form and making
sense of history. So, leave the blackletters in their class by themselves,
which they deserve, please.

Tschichold's classification system, which I mentioned earlier, starts
by dividing the group of Latin letterforms into two large branches, the
Romans (Antiquas) and the Blackletters, which he treats like equally
important. This shows how meaningful they are for someone raised in
the traditional German typographic culture.

rodolfo capeto