Re: strange looking w

Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:45:18 -0400

I think actually the hwair has an ascender as its first stroke; the example
has none, just an exagerated first serif.
Many mediaeval writing hands had a w with an open first angle, with the
second v linked to it by the v's serif: \'\/. The stroke sequence could
even be: down the first diagonal; back up it halfway or more; arc to the
top, into the second (upper-left, lower-right) diagonal; back up the
stroke again, arc to the top and around to finish at the baseline: \'\'/,
as if it were an m with turned-in toes. And that's only the simpler
version; the Chaucerian, Middle English w was much more complicated.

>"hwair" is the name of the kewl "w" -- but
>I cannot imagine why this old Gothic (the
>language, not the edgy fraktur) letter
>was found in Wales.
>Perhaps I'm wrong, but the hwair looks
>just according to the description the Wales
>traveler gave us on this list in the
>beginning of August.
>/Johan Bj–rnson
>Malm–, SWEDEN