Subject: Re: Calling Dr. Swanson...
From: "Francois H. Villebrod" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Aug 1998 05:32:57 +0300

Don Hosek wrote:

> While anything posted on the list is available in the archives, technically
> speaking, it's still a copyright violation to use it outside the context of
> list discussion without permission from the copyright holder (in this case
> Gunnar). While there is no court decision on way or the other on this
> subject, the letter of the law indicates that publicly posting a text on an
> internet mailing list does not negate the copyrightholders' rights anymore
> than broadcasting a film over public airwaves does.
>
> It's a fine line between, say, having the link point to the article in the
> archives and having the link point to the article copied onto the website,
> but it is a line nevertheless. I would recommend not crossing it. If you're
> putting together articles for the site, get the authors' permissions first.

This is about whole articles, permission is required obviously.

I had in mind asking about quotes. For example I find a few comments of
folks on Typo-L quite interesting and would like to write short excerpts
of them on my site -as quotes and with always reference to the author
and source- inside articles of mine. I believe this falls under "fair
use". Am I correct, or do I have to ask permission in this case too?

Thanks for the advice.

Francois H. Villebrod
type designer