Subject: Re: Illustrator 8 and fontographer
From: Jill Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Aug 1998 02:58:58 -0700

At 11:34 AM 8/25/98, reader wrote:

> >>Jill Bell's Scanfont query prompts me to ask does anyone know if
> Illustrator 8
> >> will option copy paths to Fontographer. I ask Adobe Tech Support about
> this
> >> when 7 came out and they said they would look into it. Macromedia then
> came
> >> out with a work around that is a royal pain. Any Beta testers of
> >>Illustrator 8
>

> >Option copy works with my copy of Ill 7.0. Get rid of all those color
> >swatches and most problems go away.

I can usually get FILE>IMPORT>EPS to place the outline. Once when I
couldn't, Tech support at Macromedia told me to get rid of the color
swatches (as James suggested) and then to save the document as an
Illustrator 1.0 document. That worked and let me use option/copy>paste.
Obviously the importing function needs major fixing and Macromedia should
be working on improving compatability with drawing programs. Maybe we
should start a letter writing (or e-mailing) campaign and tell them from
the users POV what needs updating to encourage them.

Jill Bell