Subject: Digital Carolus
From: Becky Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:47:17 +0900

Carolus, designed by Karl Erik Forsberg and released by Berling in 1954, is
a beautiful display face that I'd like to use. It is shown in the 4th ed.
of Jaspert's _Encyclopedia of Type Faces._ (It can also be seen at
amazon.com on the cover of _The Lost Books of the Bible_ [_The Lost Books
of the Bible: Being All the Gospels, Epistles and Other Pieces Now Extant
Attributed in the First Four Centuries to Jesus Christ, His . . ._] Bonanza
Books, 1979; ISBN 0517277956.) Carolus is not related to Manfred Klein's
Carolus Magnus.

I'm pretty certain that Carolus has been ditigized, because I saw it used
in a 1996 book that was "composed electronically" for a U.S. university
press; but none of the foundries/vendors that I've checked with (e.g.,
Adobe, Agfa/Monotype, Linotype) has it. Has anyone run across it, perhaps
under another name?

The last time I used Carolus, in 1982, it was a cut-and-paste project with
imported repro proofs (Latin-alphabet founts were not thick on the ground
in Tokyo in those days, nor are they now, for that matter). Since I haven't
figured out how to connect my Xacto knife and waxer to my computer and
haven't the time to tackle the digitizing, I'm really hoping to find a
commercial digital version of Carolus.

TIA.

Writing from the heart of Tokyo,
Becky