Re: Invitation to Sean

Sean Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:21:04 -0700

> Might as well keep emphasizing my youth:

  Well rub it in! As of this past Wednesday, I can no longer check the
"18-35" box in marketing surveys and registration cards.

> I am not clear in what context Sean refers to when mixing boldface
> with reg. weights in text - does this mean it is better to use italics
> for emphasis?

  Yup. In print I can't think of a good reason to ever use boldface type
for emphasis. I think it's rare for designers to do this, but non-designers
do it all the time. Web design is a slightly different beast, however.
Italics just don't work that well in HTML text. I still don't like bold,
though. Maybe a slight color change or something like that.

italically,
- Sean