Subject: Re: Invitation to Sean
From: Sean Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:18:33 -0700

  Oh Hrant, look what you've got yourself into...

  And I didn't take umbrage with Roy's cartoon, even though it was pretty
apparent he was trying to give it. (I'm Irish -- you can't really insult me.)

> My point is that I honestly think it would make for a better Typo-L
> site if you put your views up there.

  Really, I'm not being purposefully dense, but my views on *what*? What
movement/concept/philosophy/institution is it that I'm supposed to be
defending or representing? Typographic education? Does that need a
spokesman? Is it really that controversial to attempt to teach
non-designers (as well as typographically-challenged designers I should
add) the history, theory and application of type?

> And not at the expense of promoting a lop-sided web site that
> doesn't reflect the reality of Typo-L, with as many of its
> facets as possible, including you.

  *Including me*? Excuse me, but I don't think my views on type and
typography are very different from yours. My favorite type designs are
Minion, Bembo, Frutiger, Goudy Sans and Chaparall. I believe Grunge is
dead, and that legibility and simplicity are back in vogue. Lining numerals
almost always annoy me. As do fractions (even hand-made ones). I berate
people in movie theaters for not staying for the credits, just as I do
people who mix boldface text with regular weights. The proliferation of
goofy display faces sortof bothers me, and I sometimes wonder why companies
like Adobe even bother to commission many of them. On the other hand, my
wife will tell me she just has to have Postino for one of her projects, and
well...

> Funny. That's like a wierd variation on Microsoft!

  Now you did it... them's fightin' words. Microsoft?! MICROSOFT??!!   :-PPP

- Sean "Phinneas Finn" Cavanaugh

.