Subject: Print houses. What to do?
From: Michael Everson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Aug 1998 12:41:54 +0100

Colleagues:

A typesetting job came to me recently, needing a Gaelic font. As you know,
I make Gaelic fonts. So I'm always happy to typeset with them. The job was
a poem set large which would be used as the background in a book jacket.

The printers, who were typesetting the book and wanted to paste the image
into Quark or Frame or whatever so they could do the jacket, refused to
purchase the font necessary to print the font.

"Oh, we wouldn't have any call for Gaelic fonts round here. Can't the
author buy it and then give it to us for the job itself?"

As if they would delete it from their harddrives after.

In the end I made a PDF file and a PS file and an EPS file and they went to
the printer on disk.

Well, what do I want? Advice? Consolement? Strategy? Just to express myself?

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)