Subject: Re: Font Classification
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:37:35 -0700

Matthew Bardram wrote:
> Could someone point me to the archives of Typo-L and perhaps a
> month and year that it would have been discussed?

Archives, marchives. I've kept the stuff.
It was mostly John Langdon and myself, and here's how it ended:

Erosions: fonts that appear to have deteriorated from more
standard fonts. Examples: Trixie, Blur.

Mongrels: fonts that appear to be combinations of previously
existing standard fonts. Example: Dead History.

Psychotics: fonts that appear deranged. Examples: Not Caslon,
Jesus Loves You [All].

Illegibles: fonts that are barely/not legible. Note: These are not
the same as "Pi" fonts; they do represent the alphabet.
Example: ScratchedOut Book.

Constructs: fonts that are constructed mostly using discrete
geometric components. Examples: the Emigre low-res stuff,
Alien:Grey, Identification.

Tennis, anyone?

hhp