Re: Work for Hire (TAN - Dog Eat Dog)

Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:39:31 -0400

>Quadraat = Bloodhound
>http://www.akc.org/gif/blood.gif
>
>hhp
That last is soooo funny, as I've been thinking that the (for me)
dissatisfying shape of the Quadraat B is due not only to the scale of the
bowls, but also to the sag of the lower; I think also the placement of the
heaviest stress at 4-5 o'clock runs rather contrary to the generally
consistent calligraphic placement at 2-3 o'clock. The slight diagonal would
be much stronger if it had normal stress (but then normal would be a
horizontal there anyway, which could be thinned).

Other things: There are other serifings that could be added to the
classification list:
Spur (ITC Quorum, metal Univers) they're so tiny, you can hardly make them out
Latin (Vendome, Meridien, Nueva) prominent, sharply triangular, pointed, no
transition (Roy's culprit!)
Rustic (Circus, any 'Old West') reversed weight, serifs heavier than stems

For a really brutal Didone, my Fidelio is about as strict as they come. I
think a softer edge and stronger terminals would ease it greatly. %-)

As to the Koch Antiqua; I have somewhere, a comparison of the typeface and
his writing for the face; the edged-pen calligraphy and the lead print. The
writing is looser, naturally, and there is some variation; but he controls
the characters very well to get an almost typographic color. If I find it
I'll try to describe more fully. It's in some book here, gad which one. You
should look too at (Lucian) Bernhard Modern which was made much later
(1937).

Oddly, the Shockwave at THype isn't playing here; reinstalling latest
Flash. To restrict access to a site to only those with the latest gadget,
no matter how kuul, and to not provide an html version does not inspire
confidence. This gets a 0 in my gradebook. The earlier version was at least
readable (html) Dutch and said the conference will be held on a dock-side
Rotterdam conference ship (as I recall). Sigh. I'll it try again later.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary Munch
http://members.aol.com/munchfonts/